Tamang Heritage Trail Trek
Tamang Heritage Trail Trek Langtang region
Tamang Heritage Trail Trek in Langtang region presents a unique cultural and scenic country walks around the Langtang Mountain.Dhunche the headquarters of Rasuwa district. The Tamang Heritage Trail Trek is designed for those trekkers and mountain lovers who wish to enjoy the Himalayan snow peak with exploring the culture of Tamang one of the major ethnic group in middle hills and mountain around the Kathmandu valley and the northern part of the borderland to Tibet. A weeklong trekking holiday of immense views and cultural interest exploring Tamang traditional villages as it was for past hundred of centuries.
Tamang people are of Tibetan and Mongolian origin, the ancient tribes migrated to Nepal past 5,000 years back, when Kathmandu valley was still a lake. History shows Tamang as original a horsemen (Ta for horse and marred in Tibetan) riding on red horse soldiers of past many kings and royal of Tibet and Mongolia, migrated to North Mid East / Mid West of Nepal hundred of centuries ago. At present time Tamang villages are all around Kathmandu valley and beyond retaining its past glory of ancient culture and heritage trekking in Himalaya.
Nepal Base Camp Treks takes you the delight of introducing this scenic and cultural country sidewalks on the high mid hills of Langtang valley and Tamang Heritage Trail Trek in Ganesh Himal areas which lies close to Tibetan borderland. Starting with a sightseeing tour of Kathmandu medieval and Buddhist areas of old Swayambhunath and biggest Bouddhanath Stupas, then on the scenic drive to North of Kathmandu to reach Rasuwa district at Dhunche and Syabrubesi villages where this wonderful trek begins. The walk leads to beautiful forested areas of tall rhododendron-pines-oaks and bamboos were rare and elusive Red Panda habitats in the backdrop of high giant peaks of Ganesh Himal and Langtang Lirung Himal range of mountains. The journey leads towards several interesting Tamang villages of Gatlang-Tatopani (hot spring), Thuman and Briddim where you can marvel at its ancient culture and traditions exploring its villages and monasteries. After a wonderful time heading back to the road head at Syabrubesi for the drive back to Kathmandu, where our marvelous and enjoyable Tamang Heritage Trail Trek concludes.
Day 01: Arrive in Kathmandu 1,315m | 4,270ft and transfer o hotel.
Day 02: Drive to Syabrubesi 1,460 m – 07 hrs journey.
Day 03: Trek to Gatlang 2,200 m – 05 hrs.
Day 04: Trek to Tatopani 2,607 m – 06 hrs.
Day 05: Trek to Thuman 2,400 m via Nagthali – 06 hrs.
Day 06: Trek to Briddim 2,345 m – 06 hrs.
Day 07: Trek to Lama Hotel 2, 350 m – 06 walks.
Day 08: Trek to Syabrubesi- 06 hrs.
Day 09: Drive back to Kathmandu – 06 hrs.
Day 10: International departure for homeward bound.
Size of group: 1-10 people
Fitness level: Moderate
Arrival on: Kathmandu, Nepal
Departure from: Kathmandu, Nepal
Selected Meals: Breakfast in Kathmandu and all meals during the trek
Accommodation: Hotel in Kathmandu and homestay/tea houses during the trek
Included in the Cost
- Airport pickups and drops anytime arrive/departure
- The 3-star hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Teahouse/homestay accommodation during the trek
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) during the trek
- Farewell dinner at an authentic restaurant with cultural dance programe
- All ground transportation on a comfortable public bus
- Cultural, English-speaking government-licensed guide on the trek.
- Porter service (2 trekkers: 1 porter) on require
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, food, and accommodation
- Down filled jacket and sleeping bag (to be returned after trip completion)
- Trekking bag/duffel bag, trekking pole and trekking map are yours to take
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits (National Park Permit, TIMS)
- Medical kit (carried by your trek leader)
- All government and local taxes
- We will be staying at Hotel International Guest House, a 3-star hotel in Kathmandu; and teahouses during the trek. All accommodations are on twin-shared basis during the trek. Twin sharing or Single supplement will be served in Kathmandu.
Nepal Base Camp Treks will arrange rooms with attached washrooms; however, teahouses in some places only have shared washing and toilet facilities. Also, note that single rooms are readily available in Kathmandu and the trekking regions at the lower elevation but it might be difficult to find them at higher elevations.
- All menu selected meals will be provided during trekking while only breakfast will be available in Kathmandu. There will also be welcome dinner with typical cuisine and Menu selected farewell dinners. While on the trek, we have breakfast and dinner in the same tea-houses/lodges we spend the night and lunch on our way to the next destination. Nepalese, Tibetan, the more common continental, and Indian cuisines are common choices in the menu.
- Physical Condition & Experience Requirements
- Tamang Heritage Trail Trek is for those travelers who can walk up to 6-7 hours (10-15km) a day on an uphill and downhill trail will find this trek fulfilling. It is best that we prepare ourselves for the Everest trek by morning jogging and 1 hours exercising regularly at least a month prior to the start of the trek. Trekking to the Everest Base Camp should be relatively easier for those who have experience walking/trekking in a high altitude environment. Past hiking experience would be an asset but no technical skill is required for this trip. It is also important that we consult our doctor. Participants with pre-existing medical conditions such as heart, lung, and blood diseases should inform Nepal Base Camp Treks before booking the trek.
- Best Time to Travel to Tamang Heritage Trail Trek
- The best time to trek to the Everest Base Camp is spring (Mid-February to May) and autumn (Mid-September to first week of December). The temperature in these seasons and guarantees amazing panorama views through the trip. Although this trek can be undertaken during winter, the cold temperature might not be suitable for everyone.
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu 1,327 m and transfer to hotel.
On reaching Kathmandu international airport via various respective airlines, our Nepal Base Camp Treks guide or staff will receive you with warm welcome and then a short drive to your hotel in the heart of Kathmandu city.
After checking in your hotel rooms and getting refreshed join at the hotel lobby for group briefing and orientation program where our guide informs you regarding hotels, Kathmandu, Nepali culture, Tamang Heritage Trail Trekking with welcome dinner in a pleasant authentic Nepalese restaurant with culture program.
Day 02: In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour and trek preparations.
In Kathmandu morning after breakfast and at given time our city guide will pick you up for sightseeing tour around places of interest around Kathmandu old part of the city, Kathmandu is famous for world heritage sites with tour of Pashupatinath a holy temple, Bouddhanath Stupa a Buddhist pilgrimage spot or tour of Kathmandu old Durbar (palace) Square and ancient 2,500 years old Swayambhunath, afternoon free for Tamang Heritage Trail Trekking preparation.
Day 03: Drive to Syabrubesi 1,460 m - 07 hrs journey.
Morning an exciting drive towards Rasuwa district to Langtang region as the ride leads towards high hills of with views of Himalayan peaks and rolling green hills, passing through many farm villages and towns to reach at a nice Tamang village at Syabrubesi after passing through Dhunche town, where Langtang National Park begins.
Syabrubesi located in the shadow of massive Central Himal of Ganesh and Langtang mountain range, a door to many treks to Langtang and Ganesh Himal area and as well route to Tibet border.
Day 04: Trek to Gatlang 2,200 m - 05 hrs.
From Syabrubesi, our first day walk begins following along a gentle and winding uphill trail on the road to Goljung village, with super views of Ganesh and Langtang Himal, after Goljung village a nice walk with short ups and down path to a large scattered Tamang village in Gatlang for overnight stop in of its few fine and cozy Home Stay cottage and huts.
Gatlang village has an old monastery where visitors are welcomed with warm hospitality and a Khada (silk scarf) of Buddhist culture, afternoon visit the monastery and make friends with the villagers.
Day 05: Trek to Tatopani 2,607 m - 06 hrs.
After a nice time and homely hospitality of Gatlang people, morning walk leads to a short descend close to newly built Chilime Hydropower project at River Chilime. From here walk leads to cross a suspension bridge over Chilime River which flows from Tibet, and with an uphill for few hours till Tatopani village is reached for overnight stop.
Tatopani means Hot Water in Nepali, this village with natural hot spring nearby, afternoon free at leisure and to enjoy the hot spring pool which is refreshing and cure of many diseases.
Day 06: Trek to Thuman 2,400 m via Nagthali - 06 hrs.
Morning after a refreshing time in Tatopani and with spectacular views of Ganesh Himal, starting morning walk with a climb into dense forest of rhododendron, pines, magnolia and oaks tree lines to reach at Nagthali Danda, a fantastic view point at Nagthali Danda over looking panorama of Langtang Lirung, Ganesh Himal and array of adjoin peaks, after a great time with the views heading downhill to our next overnight stop at Thuman village another nice village with farm life and old culture.
Day 07: Trek to Briddim 2,345 m - 06 hrs.
From Thuman village, morning walk begins with a descend to river Trisuli, looking over the trail to Tibet in the far distance, after crossing a river with a long downhill to our overnight stop at Briddim. This is another pretty farm village with old monastery, afternoon visit this old monastery treasures many historical artifacts along with the tall statue of Sakyamuni Buddha and of Guru Ringboche “Padmasamba” with time to explore the village of Briddim.
Day 08: Trek to Lama Hotel 2, 350 m - 05 hrs.
After Briddim village with great interesting time, walk from here leads to downhill back to Trisuli River after passing Khangjim village and close to Syabrubesi village, starting with 2-3 hours climb and then on the good trail passing farm fields and terraces, walk continues arriving at River side lodge located on the junction to Upper or Thulo Syabru and trail to Langtang valley joins, our overnight stop will be in the middle of forest at Lama Hotel.
Day 09: Trek to Syabrubesi- 06 hrs.
Morning after breakfast with great time around high hills of Langtang area exploring Tamang villages of great interest, our last day walk of this fabulous trip leads downhill most of the way to reach the bridge above Bhote-Kosi (Upper Trisuli River) and then a pleasant walk back to Syabrubesi village.
Day 10: Drive back to Kathmandu - 06 hrs.
After a great country walk on the scenic trail around Langtang area visiting interesting Tamang villages, morning journey as the drive leads back to Kathmandu with few rest stops for refreshment and lunch, after 6 hours of good drive reaching back at busy city life in Kathmandu.
Day 11: Final International departure homeward bound.
Last day in amazing Nepal with awesome time in the high hills around Langtang and trekking on Tamang Heritage Trail, our staff will transfer you to Kathmandu international airport for your final flight back homeward bound or to respective countries.
Full Board Package
Your safety during the journey is of paramount concern while traveling with Nepal Base Camp Treks and note that turbulent and cloudy weather is regular phenomenon along the Himalayas ranges and possibility of domestic flights from Kathmandu to Lukla or Lukla to Kathmandu may have to be delayed for few hours or even canceled for a day.
Any Weather conditions and health condition of a group member, or unexpected natural disasters, etc., can all contribute to changes in the tentative itinerary. NBCT leader will try to ensure your trip runs according to plan, but please be prepared to be flexible if any required.
As a safeguard we recommend you to add a couple of extra days after your trek before you fly from Kathmandu to your onward destination.