Upper Mustang Trek
17 Day Enthralling Upper Mustang Trek
Upper Mustang Trek & Explore in Himalaya
Upper Mustang Trek an exceptional trek which opened for trekkers in the early 1990’s as this region was a forbidden to foreign travelers, it unique dramatic landscapes has opened up the doors for wide world trekkers and explorer to witness its rich cultural heritage of ancient past glory in and around the great walled city or a large village of Lo-Manthang Trekking in Himalaya.
Upper Mustang trekkking a great scenic landscapes actually an extension of vast south west Tibetan plateau, located North West of Nepal beyond Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain range on route old Trans-Himalayan Salt and Caravan Route of Nepal and Tibet.
Nepal Base Camp Trek presents Upper Mustang, an awesome mystical and scenic journey for you to enjoy and immerse in its rich traditions and ancient heritage of Tibetan Buddhist origin and as well pre Buddhism Bon culture.
A country of great fascination on this windswept terrain of eroded red cliffs and canyon making a great contrast with white snow capped peaks of Dhaulagiri and Birkuti / Damodar range of peaks.
Our Upper Mustang starts from picturesque and popular touristic city of Pokhara blessed with beautiful natural surrounding on the laps of giant and massive Annapurna Himalaya and serene Begnas and Phewa Lakes.
A super short flight takes you to Jomsom Muktinath headquarter town of Mustang district, where our adventure starts heading towards higher and upper Mustang through interesting Kagbeni-Tsele (Chele), Tsarang-Ghami villages and crossing few high passes with grand views of mountains and landscapes to reach our destination at walled city / village of Lo-Manthang.
Day 01: Arrive in Kathmandu 1,315m | 4,270ft and transfer o hotel.
Day 02: In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour at places of interest.
Day 03: Drive to Pokhara 860m (220 km) – 06 hrs journeys.
Day 04: Morning flight to Jomsom 2,715 m and trek to Kagbeni – 04 hrs.
Day 05: Trek to Chele 3,050 m – 06 hrs.
Day 06: Trek to Geling 3,540 m – 05 hrs.
Day 07: Trek to Tsarang 3,560 m – 06 hrs.
Day 08: Trek to Lo-Manthang 3700m – 05 hrs.
Day 09: At Lo-Manthang rest day for exploration around its village and monasteries.
Day 10: Trek to Dhakmar 3,810 m – 06 hrs.
Day 11: Trek to Ghiling 3,806 m – 06 hrs.
Day 12: Trek to Tsusang 2,980 m – 06 hrs.
Day 13: Trek to Kagbeni 2,830 m – 05 hrs.
Day 14: Trek to Jomsom 2, 715 m – 04 hours.
Day 15: Fly from Jomsom to Pokhara 860m – 25 mins flight
Day 16: Drive or fly back to Kathmandu afternoon free at leisure.
Day 17: International departure for homeward bound.
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu 1,327 m and transfer to hotel.
On reaching Kathmandu international airport via various respective airlines, our Nepal Base Camp Treks guide or staff will receive you with warm welcome and then a short drive to your hotel in the heart of Kathmandu city.
After checking in your hotel rooms and getting refreshed join at the hotel lobby for group briefing and orientation program where our guide informs you regarding hotels, Kathmandu, Nepali culture, Upper Mustang Trekking with welcome dinner in a pleasant authentic Nepalese restaurant with culture program.
Day 02: In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour and trek preparations.
In Kathmandu morning after breakfast and at given time our city guide will pick you up for sightseeing tour around places of interest around Kathmandu old part of the city, Kathmandu is famous for world heritage sites with tour of Pashupatinath a holy temple, Bouddhanath Stupa a Buddhist pilgrimage spot or tour of Kathmandu old Durbar (palace) Square and ancient 2,500 years old Swayambhunath, afternoon free for Upper Mustang Trek preparation.
Day 03: Drive to Pokhara 820m - 06 hrs of 220 k.m. distances.
Morning an exciting drive on nice comfortable coach or in a private vehicle (depending upon the group size), the road to Pokhara lead on low hills of with views of Himalayan peaks and rolling green hills, passing through many farm villages and towns to reach at scenic and famed city Pokhara.
Pokhara located in the shadow of massive Annapurna range of mountains with pristine Lake Phewa, here in accommodation in nice hotels with time in the afternoon for walks on the lake side where you can browse around excellent shops-stores-restaurants.
(Options by air from Kathmandu 30 mins of scenic flight to Pokhara)
Day 04: Morning Flight to Jomsom 2,700 and trek to Kagbeni - 04 hrs.
After a wonderful stop at Pokhara, depart from the hotel for an early morning short scenic flight to Jomsom, during airborne views of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountains and then reaching at Jomsom small airstrip, located on the shelf of Kali-Gandaki River.
Jomsom, headquarter town of Mustang district, after Jomsom first day trek begins on Kali-Gandaki river valley around windswept country.
Afternoon will be very windy, after few hours of good walk with great views of Mt. Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri’s and ending our first day walk at Kagbeni village for overnight stop.
Kagbeni a windswept Tibetan like village which is the starting and ending point of Upper Mustang area and former Forbidden City Lo Manthang, located on an old Himalayan Caravan Salt Trade route of Nepal and Tibet.
Day 05: Trek to Chele 3,050m - 06 hrs.
Morning walk leads on uphill trail into canyon and high red eroded cliff edge, then following upper Kailgandaki River upstream, around unique landscapes of cliff wall in-between walking trails.
This nice walk with views leads to our overnight stop at Chele village, a moderate size settlement.
Day 06: Trek to Geling 3,540 m - 05 hrs.
From Chele (spelled as Tsele also), morning walk begins with a climb to Gyakar village, and from here trek around dry and barren landscapes to reach at Samar village, one of the lovely looking villages of Mustang area.
After Samar village with short stops walk to Bhena and then leading with a steep climb to a ridge top of Yamda La pass at 3,860 meters high, offering grand vista of Mustang area with high mountains of Mt. Dhaulagiri.
From here on down-hill to overnight stop at Geling village via Syangboche village.
Day 07: to Tsarang (Charang) 3,560 m - 06 hrs.
Morning visit old Geling monastery and explore the Buddhist mani prayer wheels propelled with water power, after monastery tour trek towards Ghami village, and then leading to cross Ghaymi Khola (stream) walk leads following a long and interesting line of Mani walls (holy prayer stone) from here walk to Dhakmar village.
After few hours of pleasant walk reaching at Tsarang village surrounded by large fields of crops like buckwheat for overnight stop and visit of Tsarang old monastery.
Day 08: Trek to Lo-Manthang 3700m - 04 hrs.
Today a short day walk to Lo –Manthang our main destination of this classic journey to the wall city (actually a large village) guarding this city / village surrounded by high wall.
At one time stood as a forbidden kingdom after monarchy rule ended in Nepal few past decade, morning walk starts crossing a steel bridge, and then to Marang village.
From this village climb to reach a scenic ridge top, coming across several chortens and mani stones, between Tsarang and on Lo Manthang trail with grand views of arid landscapes in the shade of Nilgiri’s, Tilicho and Bhrikuti peaks.
Walk leads to a climb over Lo La pass at 3,950 meters with first views of Lo Manthang walled city and its fort like village. From here descend to the bottom of the pass and on nice trail to reach at Lo Manthang for two nights stop.
Day 09: In Lo-Manthang for acclimatization and local hike.
Lo Manthang highest overnight stop of this journey, with time to explore this fascinating village with old Tibetan like houses enclosed within great high wall, visit historical and cultural centre the main attraction of Lo-Manthang.
The four main monasteries are Namgyal Gompa, Champa Lakhang (God House), Red Thubchen Gompa, Chyodi Gompa and the great Entrance Hall.
Advance permission required to enter king’s palace to visit interior of the old palace and to grant audience with former king or Raja of Mustang if possible.
Day 10: Trek to Dhakmar 3,810 m - 06 hrs.
After an interesting time in Lo-Manthang morning walk starts on the same route back to Marang village, and then walk west using an old path to Dhakmar village for overnight stop.
Day 11: Trek to Ghiling 3,806 m - 06 hrs.
From Dhakmar village, morning walk heading on the same route with long series of Mani Walls, and then cross a bridge over Ghami Khola to reach at Ghami village for overnight, time permitting visit Geling monastery.
Day 12: Trek to Tsusang 2,980 m - 06 hrs.
Slowly this fascinating walk comes to an end after a short climb to Syangboche village, and to Yamda La with grand views, then downhill to Bhena and Samar villages.
Walk leads by a stream passing Gyakar and Chele villages and finally ending this nice walk at Tsusang village.
Day 13: Trek to Kagbeni 2,830 m - 05 hrs.
Morning walk back on same trail to Kagbeni village after an interesting and exciting time around Upper Mustang, a nice and pleasant walk brings reaches at Kagbeni village before concluding the walk at Jomsom.
Day 14: Trek to Jomsom 2,715 m - 04 hrs.
Today our last and final day of this beautiful Upper Mustang trekking, morning walk starts on the same route to Jomsom town, after retracing Kaligandaki river valley trail to reach in Jomsom and overnight in a nice fine lodge.
Jomsom area from Kagbeni to Larjung is famous for delicious apples and products cider, brandy and juice. Celebrate last night dinner with staff and among other teams.
Day 15: From Jomsom morning fly to Pokhara.
Llast day of this amazing journey around Mustang concludes with short scenic flight from Jomsom to Pokhara a lovely touristic city, overnight in Pokhara a scenic spot with many nice hotels by the serene Phewa Lake, where Annapurna Himal reflects on its pristine calm waters.
(Driving options which is about 6-7 hours via Beni town to Pokhara city from Jomsom)
Day 16: Drive to Kathmandu - 06 hrs evening farewell dinner.
After a great adventure on Upper Mustang trek, morning journey as the drive leads back to Kathmandu with few rest stops for refreshment and lunch, after 6 hours of good drive reaching back at busy city life in Kathmandu.
(From Pokhara option by air to Kathmandu of 30 minutes flight)
Day 17: Final International departure homeward bound.
Last day in amazing Nepal with awesome adventure around Upper Mustang trekking, our staff will transfer you to Kathmandu international airport for your final flight back homeward bound or to respective countries.
- Airport Pick up drop (Airport /Hotel/Airport) by private car/van/Bus.
- Hotel in Kathmandu: Two night's tourist standard Hotel in Katmandu with breakfast basis.
- Welcome dinner and farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- Meals During Trek: Your standard meals in mountain (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the trekking. Tea or coffee four times a day in cup during the trek
- Kathmandu valley sightseeing (Kathmandu Darbar Square, Swayambhunath Stupa, Bouddhanath Stupa and Pashipati Temple
- Accommodation In Trekking: All accommodations in lodges/tea houses during the treks.
- Trekking permit: 'Trekkers' Information Management System (TIMS) Permit. And Everest National park permits
- Toilet paper during the trek
- All necessary paper works.
- Domestic airport pick up and drop by car/.
- Special Upper Mustang Trekking U$D (500) and ACAP Permit.
- Guide: An experienced, helpful and friendly Guide,
- Porters: Experience Trekking Porters (1 porter for 2 clients). And all Their well-paid Salary, Food, Drinks, Accommodation, Transportation and Insurance for the Guide and Porter.)
- Adventure Certificate: Our Company provides Adventure Certificate.
- Arrangement of emergency helicopter service which will be paid by your travel insurance company. Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- All government taxes.
- Service charge
- Drop to airport by car/van/Bus
Cost does not include on:
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport - Katmandu). Your Travel and rescue insurance.
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- All the Food in Kathmandu. Also in the case of early return from mountain (due to any reason) Than the scheduled Itinerary.
- All the expenses in mountain over than scheduled itinerary (due to strike, delay or canceled flight)
- Extra night Hotel in Kathmandu if arrive early or late departure than schedule Itinerary.
- All the Bar bills and personal expenses (phone call, laundry service, battery recharge, bottle of water, hot water, shower.
- Tips for the guide and porter.
Size of group: 1-12 people
Fitness level: Moderate
Arrival on: Kathmandu, Nepal
Departure from: Kathmandu, Nepal
Selected Meals: Breakfast in Kathmandu and all meals during the trek
Accommodation: Hotel in Kathmandu and tea houses during the trek
On 16 days Everest Base Camp Trek we experience the astounding iconic mountain views including Mount Everest and the glimpses of the life of the world famous Sherpa people (the climbers) after entering Sagarmatha National Park,a highest world heritage tour site of high altitude Himalayan Buddhist monasteries before accomplishing our unleash goal-reaching Everest Base Camp of the world's tallest peak ,Everest. Trip to the popular Everest Base Camp also provides us the lifetime opportunity to embark on an epic journey that Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary set off to in 1953.
Our 16 days itinerary of Everest Base Camp Trek is designed for those trekkers who are in good physical shape with good health. Some time if you wish to take much challenge and trek off the beaten trail, then Everest Base Camp Trek to Gokyo Lake valley via alternative Chola Pass would be ideal. Another option for trekkers with limit experienced time would be 14 day Everest Base Camp
Included in the Cost
- Airport pickups and drops in a private vehicle
- 3-star hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Teahouse accommodation during the Everest base camp trek
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary
- Domestic flights (Kathmandu- Lukla -Kathmandu)
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private vehicle
- Entrance fees for sightseeing/monument visits as per the itinerary
- An experienced, English-speaking and government-licensed trek leader and assistant trek guide (6 trekkers: 1 assistant guide)
- Porter service (2 trekkers: 1 porter)
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, domestic airfare, food and accommodation
- Down filled jacket and sleeping bag (to be returned after trip completion)
- Trekking bag/duffel bag, trekking pole and trekking map are yours to take
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits (National Park Permit, TIMS)
- Medical kit (carried by your trek leader)
- All government and local taxes
We will be staying at Hotel International Guest House,a 3-star hotel in Kathmandu; and teahouses during the trek. All accommodations are on twin-shared basis during the trek. Twin sharing or Single supplement will be served in Kahmandu.
Nepal Base Camp Treks will arrange rooms with attached washrooms; however, teahouses in some places only have shared washing and toilet facilities. Also note that single rooms are readily available in Kathmandu and the trekking regions at lower elevation but it might be difficult to find them at higher elevations.
- All menu selected meals will be provided during trekking while only breakfast will be available in Kathmandu. There will also be welcome dinner with typical cuisine and Menu selected farewell dinners. While on trek, we have breakfast and dinner in the same tea-houses/lodges we spend the night and lunch on our way to the next destination. Nepalese, Tibetan, the more common continental and Indian cuisines are common choices in the menu.
- Physical Condition & Experience Requirements
- 16 days Everest Base Camp Trek is a moderate for those travelers who can walk up to 6-7 hours (10-15km) a day on an uphill and downhill trail will find this trek fulfilling. It is best that we prepare ourselves for the Everest trek by morning jogging and 1 hours exercising regularly at least a month prior to the start of the trek. Trekking to the Everest Base Camp should be relatively easier for those who have experience walking/trekking in a high altitude environment. Past hiking experience would be an asset but no technical skill is required for this trip. It is also important that we consult our doctor. Participants with pre-existing medical conditions such as heart, lung, and blood diseases should inform Himalayan Glacier before booking the trek.
- Best Time to Travel to Everest Base Camp Trek
- The best time to trek to the Everest Base Camp is spring (March to May) and autumn (October to first week of December). The temperature is moderate in these seasons and guarantees amazing panorama views through the trip. Although this trek can be undertaken during winter, the cold temperature might not be suitable for everyone.
|S.N.||Trip||Trip Dates||Price||Space Lece|
|1.||Everest Base Camp Trek||20 Dec/2016 - 20 Jan 2017||$ 1260||6||Book Now|